What Is Mold and How to Prevent It?
Mold is a type of multicellular fungus that thrives in damp places. While mold is found everywhere to some degree, and in nature it helps with the decomposition of plant life. However, In high concentration inside homes certain types of mold can be cause illness, skin irritation, sore throat, and in some cases even death. Mold will have a musty smell and has a variety of different colors and appearances. For mold to grow it requires these 4 things.
- Organic matter for food,
- The correct temperature, most mold can grow well in temperatures between 60-80 degrees Fahrenheit. This is also within the ideal temperature for comfort though.
- Moisture, relative humidity should be kept below 60%
Now the only way that a homeowner can practically prevent mold from growing is to prevent moisture. This means keeping surfaces like wood from retaining water for any extended period. Things such as vapor barriers, drained cavities, exterior sheathing and insulation can work to help prevent water intrusion. However, no system is perfect, and not every system is implemented correctly. For more information about mold or mold prevention tips I have added the link to Tuck an online sleep portal https://www.tuck.com/sleep-and-mold/
What We Do
We perform mold investigations, so you know if your home is safe for you and your family. Unlike some inspectors we make sure to be as thorough as possible in our investigation by. A mold investigation with Realty Pro Inspection includes 3 mold air samples and mold swabs as needed.
- 2 control air samples will be performed outside (on the leeward and windward side of the house).
- 1 air sample will be performed inside at the area of concern. If there is not a specific area of concern, then the mold air sample will be done near a vent to test the HVAC for mold. If mold is in the HVAC it can easily spread to other parts of the house and is very expensive to remediate.
- 1 mold swab will be done at any area that there is mold suspected, and 1 control swab will be done where there is not mold suspected. We will also be using thermal and moisture meters when necessary to identify mold.
We make sure there is no mold by using tools such as moisture meters, thermal imaging, and an air sampler built for mold sampling to help paint a picture of the situation.
Why Is It So Important to Know If You Have Mold?
Mold inhaled has the potential to cause eye irritation, sore throat, allergic reactions, asthma attacks, headaches, skin irritation, and over time even death. The danger comes from the Mycotoxin released by some types of mold commonly known as “black mold.” These spores that are emitted are especially dangerous to people with allergies or compromised immune systems. If mold is in the HVAC system, it is especially dangerous as it can easily be transported to every room in the house. At Realty Pro Inspection if there is not a specific area of concern we air test the HVAC system to make sure your family can sleep safely. Schedule a mold investigation today.